Chicken and Orzo soup with Lemon
Chicken and Orzo Soup with Lemon
YOU GUYS! This soup is amazing. Its an absolute favorite, and we had no trouble eating this for a whole week. In fact, I could have eaten more! It’s a great twist on the standard chicken noodle soup, just switch out the noodles for orzo pasta, throw in some leek, dill, and lemon and you’ve got yourself a fun bright flavored soup! I’ve really been into soups since summer ended, plus they’re the easiest thing to cook when you’re prepping such large quantities. Just chop your ingredients, throw your stuff in a pot, cook, portion, and bam! you’re done! Lately, to save time for my weekly meal prep I do one soup recipe and one non-soup, whatever that may be. For example, this week it was beef stew and chicken fried rice. I’m all for being smart with my time right now, life has been so crazy!
I’ve still been meal prepping regularly and maintaining my weight loss. I’m still struggling to continue to lose weight at this point but I’m still so happy with where I’m at, that its hard to be mad about it! I’m sitting at a good spot with my weight loss that I’m ok taking a maintenance break until life slows down after the holidays. BUT!! This doesn’t mean I get to stop and do whatever I want! Oh no, no way. I will still be meal prepping and be eating within a certain calorie allowance but I will not be restricting myself at family dinners and other events.
I have been really busy lately. The change in our family routine with Anna in school and after-school activities has made me have to pull back on some things so I can avoid becoming a crazy person. For this reason, I haven’t had time to take pictures of the food I cook or write up the recipes regularly. I’ve also been leaning back on old recipes that are easy and quick to cook which honestly, makes for very boring blog fodder! I have had a little bit of a block on what to write about on here because I’ve mostly been going through the motions.
Something I’m considering to get things going in January is a fun weight loss challenge, where we each bet on ourselves! I did a small one with friends a few years ago and it worked really well for me because, HELLO I’m competitive! so watch out for a “New Year New You Diet Bet”. If anyone is interested send me an email or comment below and I will contact you when its time to get started!
So give this amazing soup a try and check out my other recipes!
Chicken and Orzo Soup with Lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 leek discard dark green, chop white and light green part
- 4 celery stalks sliced
- 4 carrots peeled and diced
- 2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tbsp Kosher Salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp pepper (more to taste)
- 3 cups orzo dry
- 1/2 cup fresh dill chopped
- 1 lemon halved
- In a large pot over medium heat add olive oil. Add leek, celery, and carrots and cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, broth, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to plate, allow to cool then shred into small pieces.
- While the chicken cools. turn the heat up to medium to return broth to a boil. Add orzo and cook 8 minutes or until al dente.
- Add shredded chicken back to the broth, squeeze lemon halves into the soup and add the chopped dill and stir to combine. Taste the soup and add salt, pepper, more lemon as needed.
- Portion the soup equally into 10 containers. Allow soup to cool before adding lids and storing in the fridge or freezer.
NUTRITION INFORMATIONYield: 10 servings
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 303
- Total Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated Fat: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Sodium: 837.1mg
- Carbohydrates: 36.3g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Protein: 25.9g