Tom Yum Gai Soup – 363 Calories
Tom Yum Gai Soup Recipe – 363 calories per servingJump to Recipe
Tom Yum Gai Soup is a great low calorie soup, perfect for keeping calories down since its full of veggies, chicken breast, and lots of flavorful ingredients.
Have you ever tried Tom Yum or any of its variations in a restaurant? Its a hot and sour style broth with lots of umami from mushrooms, soy sauce, and fish sauce. The spice comes from chili flakes so you can scale that ingredient to your desired level of heat easily. This soup also has lemongrass, ginger, and kaffir lime leaves to make the most delicious complex flavor.
Often there is shrimp in the soup and shrimp shells used to flavor the broth but for meal prep, I didn’t want to use shrimp as it doesn’t keep as long as chicken does. To make up for it, I upped the fish sauce to get a similar flavor.
Give my recipe a try and share your results in the comments or post pictures it on Instagram with #mealprepwithmerecipes and tag @mealprep.withme so I can see!
how about new recipes sent directly to your inbox? Sign up for the Mealprepwithme.com monthly newsletter here.
Tom Yum Gai
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or any oil you like
- 2 stalks lemon grass minced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp ginger chopped into matchsticks
- 1 onion diced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 5 kaffir lime leaves of bay leaves
- 4 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp chili flakes more to taste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 lbs chicken breast sliced thinly
- 5 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 large zucchini halved long-wise and sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- In a large pot over medium high heat add the avocado oil and saute the lemongrass, garlic, ginger, and onion until fragrant.
- Add the chicken broth, dried mushrooms, lime leaves, lime leaves, fish sauce, chili flakes and soy sauce. Allow the soup to come to a boil and then lower the heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Next, add the chicken breast and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, zucchini, and tomatoes, and coconut milk. Simmer another 15 minutes, or until carrots are just cooked yet crisp.
- Remove the shiitake mushrooms and then serve into 10 containers and top each serving with fresh cilantro.
- Tom Yum Gai Soup – 363 Calories
- What to eat when you are too sick to meal prep
- Meal Prep Printable Tools – Pantry Essentials and Grocery Shopping List
- Mediterranean Snack Box
- Peanut Butter Dip Snack Box