Mulligatawny SoupJump to Recipe
Mulligatawny Soup is an old favourite of mine. It has been a really long time since I had eaten it so I had to do a little research on this one. This is an interesting soup because there are lots of different ways to make it and people seem to have lots of different ideas on what makes a proper mulligatawny.
For mine, I tried to keep it simple. I used lentils, celery, carrot, onion, chicken breast, and chopped tart apples for my main ingredients. Some people use rice instead of lentils, some say you must use chicken thighs, lamb or beef, others say to absolutely never use garlic (I included garlic because I can’t live without it.) I feel like this is a dish that you can change up easily depending on what you’re craving or what you have on hand.
Give my mulligatawny recipe a try and let me know in the comments what you think. Have you ever tried mulligatawny before? What ingredients do you think should be in it?
Check out my other soup recipes here!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 inch ginger peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 3 lbs chicken breast cut into cubes
- 1 cup dry red lentils rinsed
- 2 green apples peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- In a large pot over medium-high heat add the oil. Next add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook until fragrant about 2 minutes.
- Add the ginger, curry powder, salt and cayenne and stir to combine. Cook another 2 minutes.
- Next, add the chicken stock, coconut milk, and water and bring to a boil. Add the chicken breast, and lentils and cook about 15 minutes. Stirring often. If the soup is too thick at this point add more chicken stock or water.
- Add the chopped apples, and lemon juice and cook another 5 minutes until the apples are soft.
- Serve and top with a sprinkle of cilantro.
Yield: 10 servings
Calories: 315 Total Fat: 6.2g Saturated Fat: 2.9g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 1125mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 7.1g Sugar: 4.6g Protein: 27g
- Healthy Cobb Salad
- Chicken Burger Salad
- Tom Yum Gai Soup – 363 Calories
- What to eat when you are too sick to meal prep
- Meal Prep Printable Tools – Pantry Essentials and Grocery Shopping List