Spicy Black Bean Soup With Shredded Chicken – 340 calories
I’ve been MIA!
Its been a really long time since I posted a new recipe or posted at all for that matter. If you follow me on Instagram, you’ll know that I’m still pretty active there and I try to show everything I cook each week. I just haven’t had as much time to sit down and write posts and I was making a lot of the same things over and over for a while. Luckily though, I have made a few great new things lately and I will get them all up here over the summer.
I’m still struggling along, hanging out at the 85 lbs lost point. I wish was already at the end of my journey but I just haven’t been able to find the motivation or the discipline. I have tried to lean into my routines but I have been slipping into old habits and haven’t been working out. I definitely have been making excuses for myself and sneaking treats too often. All that said, I’m very proud that even though my efforts haven’t been strong I haven’t backslid and gained anything back at all! I am finally starting to feel like this real now. For a long time, my weight loss felt like a dream that when I stop meal prepping and eating right I would wake up and gain it all back. Luckily, I’ve had a few vacations and taken some weeks off of meal prep just to take a break and I haven’t gained anything back.
Onto this delicious spicy black bean soup recipe…
I decided I wanted a spicy black bean soup last week so I perused some recipes and found a few ideas that were different from my old recipe. I used to just puree everything in my soup and have it completely smooth and then add diced chicken at the very end and a few toppings at serving but I read a few different recipes that suggested pureeing half of the ingredients and leaving it a little bit chunky so I kind of reworked my recipe and I think it turned out much better! I hope you’ll give it a try and let me know what you think.
- Vietnamese Noodle Salad with Blackened Chicken
- 10 Must-Have Meal Prepping Tools
- Meal Prep for Weight Loss – Can meal prepping really help you lose weight?
- Easy Snack Box Meal Prep
- Italian Couscous Salad Meal Prep
Spicy Black Bean Soup With Shredded Chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 cans black beans drained
- 4 cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cans green chilis (small cans, i used old el paso)
- 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 bunch green onion sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat add the olive oil. Next, add the garlic and onion and saute until fragrant. Add 2 of the cans of black beans, all of the cans of tomatoes, 2 of the cans of green chilis and the chicken broth. bring to a boil and then turn down the heat to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, add the chicken breasts and bring back up to a boil. Lower the heat and cover the pot. Let the chicken cook in the soup for 30 minute or until the chicken internal temp is 165.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and set aside to cool. Using a stick blender or a standing blender puree the soup until its smooth or to your desired consistency (i like mine a little bit chunky)
- Add the cumin, cayenne, garlic salt,oregano, a few grinds of salt and pepper, the final 2 cans of black beans and bell pepper and allow the soup to simmer another 10 minutes.
- The chicken should be cool enough to shred with two forks and then you can add it back to the soup and continue to simmer for 10 more minutes.
- When youre ready to serve or portion into containers top each serving with a small handful of fresh chopped cilantro and sliced green onions.
- If youre feeling fancy and have some extra calories to spare you can top your soup with hot sauce, sour cream/plain greek yogurt, avocado, and some shredded cheese! (be sure to measure and add the calories for your toppings since they arent included in the recipe!)
NUTRITION INFORMATIONYield: 10 servings
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 340
- Total Fat:5.6g
- Saturated Fat: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 87.0mg
- Sodium: 1,069.4mg
- Carbohydrates: 37.7g
- Fiber: 12.4g
- Sugar: 5.8g
- Protein: 46.4g