Taco Salad with Turkey and Black Beans
I spent the weekend with my two girlfriends and we spent our time together eating delicious meals, seeing the Beauty and The Beast movie, having a sleepover at a hotel, and doing a little shopping. It had been a long time since we’ve been able to spend time together like that. Now that we have families and busy lives and each of us now own homes in a different city it’s hard for the three of us to co-ordinate. When we made plans we were all very excited to get together again and actually have enough time to talk. It’s really nice to step out of the routine once in a while and have a few days with friends.
Sick and tired
This week is a tough one for me for the exact opposite reason as usual. I’ve been sick so I haven’t been eating as much as I should. I was a bit sniffly last week but I felt mostly fine. When I woke up on Sunday morning, my voice was almost gone but I felt fine until around 4 pm and then I pretty much crashed. Since I didn’t feel like eating dinner after a big lunch I think I just went to bed. Monday was my worst day, I could hardly talk, and my throat was so sore so I barely ate anything but I still got groceries ordered. On Tuesday I felt a lot better and was able to get the meal prep done and then just relaxed with the kids. Of course, we’ve had beautiful weather but I didn’t feel up to taking the kids outside or do anything active for that matter. The 2nd half of the week will be better!
Weekly Meal Prep: Taco Salad with Turkey and Black Beans
For meal prep last week I made this delicious taco salad with turkey and black beans. I’ve made this many times with many variations. You can switch up the ingredients you like to use based on what you have on hand or if you want higher or lower calories. I chose ground turkey for lower calories and black beans because that’s what I had in my pantry. I also used iceberg lettuce because I was sick of romaine. You can throw in any veggies you like, and you can add cheese or avocado if your diet allows it. Top with whatever sort of sauce or dressing you like. I had greek yogurt and salsa already in the fridge from when I made the burrito bowls so I went with that!
As I’ve said, I’ve made this many many times. It’s always been a weight loss staple recipe because it tastes like a treat to me. When I was a teenager I’d always order a taco salad at restaurants wherever it was on the menu! It feels like a cheat even when it’s not. Especially when you ditch the tortilla chip bowl, mountain of sour cream, and guacamole!
Give my taco salad with turkey and black beans recipe a try and make your own variations. Let me know what your favorite healthy taco salad toppings are.
Find more of my recipes here
Thanks for reading,
- What to eat when you are too sick to meal prep
- Meal Prep Printable Tools – Pantry Essentials and Grocery Shopping List
- Mediterranean Snack Box
- Peanut Butter Dip Snack Box
- Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Taco Salad with Turkey and Black Beans
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 head lettuce chopped
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 bunch green onion chopped
- 1 cucumber sliced
- greek yogurt plain optional
- salsa optional
- 1 jar pickled sliced jalapenos optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat add the oil and brown the ground turkey about 5 minutes.
- Add taco seasoning, water, black beans and stir to combine. Allow to cook through for 3-5 minutes to cook off some of the liquid. When done set aside to cool.
- Prep all your vegetables and divide evenly into 6 containers. Add lids and store in the fridge.
- If you decide to use salsa, greek yogurt and pickled jalapenos. Decide your serving size of each ( i use 2 tbsp of salsa, greek yogurt and 5 pickled jalapenos) and put all three into 6 small dressing container together.
- Into 6 containers (1.5 or 2 cup size) divide the turkey mixture so you can heat it up before putting it ontop of your vegetables to serve.
NUTRITION INFORMATIONYield: 6 Servings turkey and black bean mixture only.
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 234
- Total Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated Fat: .6g
- Cholesterol: 24.5mg
- Sodium: 265.3mg
- Carbohydrates: 17.3g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Sugar: 1.3g
- Protein: 35.5g